Waeco THERMOELECTRIC $329 vs Waeco KOMPRESSOR $649

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 09:48
ThreadID: 29827 Views:5234 Replies:11 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Mornin Everyone ,

Previously I have used a small esky for keeping opened food , drinks and wine cold , by using ice packs from my freezer fridge .

It is a fairly clumsy system , and I have been thinking about getting a 30 litre "auxillary fridge to takeover the job . I have the Waeco catalogue in front of me , and wonder if the cheaper thermoelectric model TC-32FL at $329 will do the job or should I pay another $320 and get the Kompreesor CDF-35 .

It says in the blurb that the thermoelectric models use much less batterey power - is this true ? Has anybody any experience with this tecnology ?

(I understand that the thermoelectric models will only cool down to min " up to 30 " below ambient and a min. of one degree )

Thanks ,

Willie .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: shaggy - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:08

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:08
The only difference I have found, is that the compressor fridge can freeze, whereas the thermoelectric can only cool by 30 deg below ambient. This is plenty cool enough for keeping food cold, and both seem to use similar amounts of power. Thermoelectric is rated to approx 6.5 A, but that is only whilst running. I have found that it can do two days in victorian summer on a single charge of battery. The battery gauge is still in the green after this. This is about the same as a compressor fridge.
So dont hesitate about thermoelectric if money is tight. Its also very reliable, and the only moving part is the fan. The new waeco has the electronic temperature settings, and the older model has the sliding thermostat.
Cheers
AnswerID: 149342

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:48

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:48
Thanks Shaggy
FollowupID: 402493

Reply By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:56

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:56
The thermo electric will suck your battery dry in a very short time compared to the compressor. I bought one some time ago and replaced it immeiately. If you can afford it, go the compressor.
AnswerID: 149350

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:51

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:51
I'm with David, my thermo fridge lasted one trip and it was replaced with the 32lt waeco compressor type. The thermo fridge I have is only about 15lt in as new cond. so Willie if it suits your purpose I could bring it to Syd on my next run sth (approx early March). I would let it go very cheaply as I think that's all it is worth.

Regards Trevor.
FollowupID: 402570

Reply By: Member - Paul L (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:49

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:49
I have an Engel 40 litre which I cannot fault. We also wanted an auxillary unit for perishables/etc. I purchased a "factory second" from the waeco web site - 32 litre but not with the 240 volt option - older unit with 6 mths warranty for $135. it has been a great little unit. We have just come back from the Flinders where my missus accidently stuck a fork into the cooling fan (dont even ask how!!!) and wiped out all but 2 blades, the fridge still kept temps down to 5degs @ 30deg ambient...I was impressed! The thermo units run continuously, so they dont cycle like compressors so they do use more power but you can buy reco battery units from the factory as well. All I had was the battery unit plugged into the cig lighter socket and the Waeco plugged into this for overnight usage.
AnswerID: 149359

Follow Up By: shaggy - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:42

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:42
Hi Paul L,
I believe that the statement "the thermo units run continuously,..." is incorrect. They do cycle, as that is the purpose of the thermostat which they DO have. Unless you have a cheap unit with no thermostat. Waeco in the $200 + range all have thermostats, and on a cool night, they will hardly go on. I have checked this with data logging equipment, and additionally, they are capable of freezing your food easily if the outside temperature is low. In the high country, I accidentaly left the unit on full cooling once, which is then essentially on continuously, and it froze all my beer :-(
Cheers
FollowupID: 402539

Follow Up By: Member - Paul L (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:47

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:47
Sorry, what i mean is the interior cooling fan will run continuously as the units need circulation for operation, whereas the compressors only run cooling fans whilst operating. when down to temp the units are idle.
FollowupID: 402541

Follow Up By: flappa - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:50

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:50
These new Waecos , do in fact cycle like compressor fridges apparently.

The old ones , just ran all the time.

I still think the compressor fridges are better , but these new ones are a huge step up from the older or cheaper thermo units.
FollowupID: 402544

Follow Up By: Member - Coyote (SA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:14

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 11:14
Oh c'mon Paul.. don't be a tease.. dont tell us you SWMBO stuck a fork intot the fan of your fridge and then not elaborate...
thats just plain cruel... c'mon lets hear it...
FollowupID: 402858

Reply By: Member - Paul L (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:05

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:05
I agree. I have a Two-Zone on top of my Engel but it is tricky to set the temp in the Engel so you dont actually freeze the lowest layer in the top whilst using the bottom as a freezer. The thermo weaco was a good cheap compromise. As I mentioned the waeco web site is a good source for factory seconds of all types at great prices.
AnswerID: 149379

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:29

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 13:29
Paul ,
I know this sounds crazy but maybe if you lay a piece of closed cell foam under the stuff on the top deck , it might not freeze ( it is less than one centimeter thick - the stuff they make those cheap roll up camping "mattresses out of ).
I only mention it because the stuff at the sides of my eutectic used to freeze up until I lined it with the foam .
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 402560

Reply By: Robin - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:32

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 14:32
Willie

That add is saying that that waeco thermo is better than other thermo's not better than compressor units.

Thermo units are quite inefficent and use roughly 3 times power of compressor based units.

For low cost I'd consider good quality eskies like coleman extreme 5 day unit.
Regardless of cost, we choose to use these things over our other fridges for
trips up to a week. Just carry bagged ice.
The waeco catalogue also states that chardonay is best served at 10 degreees.

Happy experience has taught us that if you fill glass up with ice from the coleman and then fill up with warm wine kept outside the icebox you have the near perfect drink.

Robin Miller

AnswerID: 149393

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:04

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:04
Robin ,

Yes , you are right . I just read the advert again . Thanks . That info is starting to make the decision easier - if not cheaper !

I have an Evercool fibreglass esky and I use that on short trips . But this winter , I will be out of touch for three weeks at a time in the desert , so ice will not work.

I think it is a odd feature of the Waeco catalogue , that every picture features a fridge with so much stuff in it , that the lid could not be closed . I guess I'm being petty - again .

Thanks for your help ,

Willie.
FollowupID: 402618

Reply By: dags666 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:06

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 15:06
Willie I have both. the thermoelectric one don’t leave it running on the car for any period with out the car running it will sucks the guts out of the battery . its handy for keeping things cold but at best 30 below ambient up north say its 35 degrees 15 degrees not my idea of a cold beer my advice spend the extra and get something that actually freezes you can always turn the temp up dags
AnswerID: 149399

Reply By: Sam from Weipa Auto Electrics - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 16:35

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 16:35
I can tell you now from experience the thermoelectric fridges WILL NOT KEEP THINKS COLD IN HOT CLIMATES they work on 30 degrees delta wich is useless anywere near the queensland area maybe in victoria they are a great thing but I have seen 30-50 od people with thermoelectric fridges and when they get to weipa they just arent cutting it. Mostly I see the 3way fridges but they do seem to run half alright on gas but I am still suspect and who wants gas burning in the back of there car. anyways my 2 cents worth. Bite the bullet buy youreself a compressor fridge I have a waeco 60 litre and it will last 3 days on my trojan 115 amphr no worrys keeping my beer cold just watch the lids there very very weak.
AnswerID: 149418

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:02

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:02
WHERE IS THE CHEAPEST PLACE TO BUY A WAECO FRIDGE IN SYDNEY ?

I have decided to bite the bullet and buy a CF-40 AC . DO I NEED THE RAPS 12R-U CHARGE KIT AS WELL ?????????It costs $59 if I purchase it with the fridge

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR GIVING ME THEIR ADVICE ON THIS POST . IT WAS MUCH APPRECIATED .

Willie .
AnswerID: 149422

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:55

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 17:55
Willie,
I bought a cf80 from "the fridge shop" as a second. It had a tiny mark on the case and performs perfectly. Check the web site "thefridgeshop.com.au" which I think is a factory outlet for Waeco. Great prices and good service. I would save up if you are a bit short of cash and buy a compressor model, dont cheapskate on a thermoelectric. They are cheaper because they dont work as well and suck the battery heavily.
AnswerID: 149442

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 19:09

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 19:09
Thanks Ian ,
I checked it out , but they do not have any 35 or 40 compressor models on sale .
Willie
FollowupID: 402696

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2006 at 19:58
Give them a ring tomorrow and ask when they will have cf40 or cf50. I really think it is worth the wait rather than buy the wrong thing. You can always turn a good fridge back a bit but you can't turn a poor cooler up if it ain't got no more to give.
AnswerID: 149467

Reply By: Member - Des - Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 16:00

Monday, Jan 23, 2006 at 16:00
Please see my follow-on post re Waeco CDF35 v CF35.

AnswerID: 150322

Sponsored Links